Ink bottle with stopper
Overall: 8 1/8 x 4 in. ( 20.6 x 10.2 cm )
in relief: on shoulder: "PATENT" in relief: on body (lengthwise): "HARRISON'S / COLUMBIAN / INK"
Aquamarine glass ink bottle blown in a two-part mold with separate base plate; applied flange lip, cylindrical neck, short nearly flat shoulder with "PATENT" inscribed on reverse, twelve-sided body with inscription "HARRISON'S COLUMBIAN INK" lengthwise on obverse, domed push-up, and pontil mark on base; cork stopper.
The entry "Apollos W. Harrison, books, maps, and inks" first appears in the Philadelphia city directory in 1847. By 1877 only his residence address is given, suggesting that by then he had retired. (See McKearin and Wilson, "American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry," p. 267.)
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.