Human cranial fragments (2)
Overall: 4 1/4 in. ( 10.8 cm )
Human cranial fragments.
These cranial fragments were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a trench at Fort Washington Avenue and 181st Street, near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.