Human bone fragments excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 3 1/2 x 3 in. ( 8.9 x 7.6 cm )
Bone fragments from a human cranium.
These bones were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers who had become infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The bones were part of the skull of a soldier who died in the camp.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.