Harness buckle fragment excavated at Fort Crown Point
Overall: 2 1/2 x 3/4 x 1/2 in. ( 6.4 x 1.9 x 1.3 cm )
Iron tongue from harness buckle excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York.
This buckle fragment was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on June 1st, 1935 at Crown Point, a fort on Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.