Overall: 27 x 3/8 in. ( 68.6 x 1 cm )
Iron and wood hand spike; cylindrical iron spike that tapers to point at top, and with bulbous wood grip fastened to L-shaped bottom.
According to an attached label, this hand spike was found at the site of a fort that extended between Audobon and Eleventh Avenues and from 192nd to 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built on Laurel Hill by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the redoubt was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, renamed Fort George, and was occupied by them until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.