Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Gunflints (4) excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut

Object Number: 
INV.6100.362-365
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Flint
Dimensions: 
largest: 3/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 1 x 3.2 cm )
Description: 
Gunflints; three brown and one white.
Gallery Label: 
These flints were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built sometime after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort. The flints were probably used with carbines.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group