Gunflints (22) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp

Object Number: 
INV.5924.24-45
Date: 
1760-1775
Medium: 
Flint
Dimensions: 
largest: 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 3/8 in. ( 3.8 x 3.2 x 1 cm )
Description: 
Gunflints excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; two are considerably smaller than the others.
Gallery Label: 
These gunflints were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. One was excavated in 1909 and four between 1914-16; these and the others were stored in the Jumel Mansion (Case 1, No. 323), at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. The smaller flints were for pistols.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group