Gunflint excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
Overall: 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1/2 in. ( 3.8 x 3.2 x 1.3 cm )
Gunflint excavated at Fort Ticonderoga.
This gunflint was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under the command of Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne. The gunflint is of the type used with muskets.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.