Gun hammer from U.S. frigate Cumberland
Overall: 4 x 7 x 5 in. ( 10.2 x 17.8 x 12.7 cm )
Iron and brass gun hammer.
According to an attached label, this gun hammer was recovered in 1864 by divers from the wreckage of the Union frigate Cumberland, which had been sunk two years earlier by the Confederate ironclad Virginia, formerly the U.S.S. Merrimac. The hammer was presented to the Society in 1886 by Mrs. Livingston, the wife of Admiral Livingston.
Gift of Mrs. Livingston
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.