Black Gibson heavy guitar pick
These artifacts were excavated from the backyard of the historic James Brown house at 326 Spring Street in Greenwich Village, now the home of the Ear Inn restaurant and pub. The building was constructed around 1817 and has since been continuously occupied as a mixed-use building (commercial and residential). Excavations in 2010 in the building's basement, including an area that was likely the site of a privy before the building was extended to cover the entire yard, yielded thousands of artifacts that shed light on the daily life of previous owners and tenants. The bulk of the artifacts date to the mid- to late-nineteenth century.
Gift of Martin Sheridan and Richard Hayman and the EAR Inn
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.