Overall: 4 5/8 x 2 1/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 11.7 x 5.4 x 3.2 cm )
Wooden gavel with plain head and handle made from the deck of the U.S.S. Niagara.
This gavel was made from wood taken from the quarter deck of the War of 1812 battleship U.S.S. Niagara. The Niagara was launched in 1813 and served as Commodore Perry's relief flagship during the Battle of Lake Erie. The gavel was given to the Society by the Army and Navy Club, presented by Colonel Eugene Prince.
Gift of the Army and Navy Club
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024