Overall: 2 x 10 x 4 in. ( 5.1 x 25.4 x 10.2 cm )
inscribed: on metal plaque: "ORIGINAL WHITE HOUSE MATERIAL / REMOVED IN 1950" inscribed: on metal plaque: "N.Y. HISTORICAL SOCIETY / GIVEN BY / SPENCER, WHITE & PRENTIS"
Mahogany-stained pine gavel with turned decoration and two metal plaques.
This gavel is made of wood from the original White House, removed from the building during the course of its reconstruction in 1950. The gavel was presented to the Society by a member of the firm of engineers and contractors engaged in the reconstruction of the White House. It was used for a period of time in meetings of the Historical Society's board of trustees.
Gift of Spencer, White and Prentis through Mr. Edmund Astley Prentis
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.