Mahogany, mahogany veneer, tulip poplar, light and dark wood inlays, brass
Overall: 29 1/2 x 19 x 32 in. ( 74.9 x 48.3 x 81.3 cm )
Rectangular gaming table with hinged leaves having canted corners; inlaid checkerboard top that slides on grooves; beneath it, a well containing an inlaid backgammon board. Single drawer with mahogany veneered drawer front and applied brass molding along the bottom; cyma curved table legs (later replacements) terminate in brass casters; each leg with carved leafage at the top and applied turned roundels at top and bottom. X-shaped stretchers with applied turned roundel where they meet at the center.
This table was donated by a direct descendant of John Pintard (1759-1844), one of the founders of the New-York Historical Society, and is said to have belonged to him. The original section of the table exhibits a high level of craftsmanship and is consistent, in both style and construction, with furniture made by Duncan Phyfe and his contemporaries in the 1810s and '20s.
Gift of Natalia Icaza Holland (Mrs. Stuart Holland)
John Pintard (1759-1844) m. Elizabeth Brasher (1765-1838); to their daughter Louise (b. 1796) m. Thomas L. Servoss (1786-1866); to their son Elias Boudinot Servoss (1827-1901) m. Maria Henry (1835-1913); to their son Elias Boudinot Servoss (1868-1897) m. Clarissa Lyman (b. 1868); to their daughter Kathryn Servoss (b. 1895) m. Carlos Icaza de Arosomena (of Panama) (b. 1895); to their son Frank Highet Icaza m. B. A. Hungerford Latimer; to their son Carlos Boudinot Icaza.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.