Framed set of tobacco pipe fragments (15)
largest: 1 5/8 x 6 in. ( 4.1 x 15.2 cm )
handwritten: (1); on stem: "181st St 1911" (nearly whole pipe; 2 stems glued together; bowl with no heel/spur); residue stamped: (2); bowl, facing smoker: "TD" (two stems and bowl fg. w/ heel; also TD on heel); residue stamped: (3); stem: "T" (inside di
Clay tobacco pipe fragments; white clay.
These tobacco pipe fragments were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.