Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Framed set of shoe buckles (23) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
1947.290.1-23
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass, iron, pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 2 3/8 x 1 7/8 in. ( 6 x 4.8 cm )
Description: 
Brass, iron, or pewter shoe buckles; seventeen buckle and six chape fragments; buckles have rectangular or circular frames; several have beaded, pierced, or other designs.
Gallery Label: 
These buckles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The decorated buckles were probably worn by officers.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group