Framed set of pins and buttons (57) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Brass, pewter, bone, bronze, silver
largest: 2 1/4 x 1/2 in. ( 5.7 x 1.3 cm )
stamped: (1-3), on front: "76" (76th British Regiment, McDonald Highlanders) stamped: (4), on front: "57" (57th British Regiment)
Silver button with wavy-line border; thirty-three brass straight pins; one brass hairpin; two bone buttons; four solid pewter military buttons with regiment numbers on front; four other pewter buttons; one bronze and eleven brass buttons.
These pins and buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The hairpin was owned by a woman, probably a camp follower or a member of a soldier's family.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.