Framed set of objects (38) excavated at Sneeden's Landing
Iron, pewter, lead, copper, flint, brass, leather
largest: 7 1/4 x 5/8 in. ( 18.4 x 1.6 cm )
stamped: (64-5), front of coin: "GEORGIVS.....REX" stamped: (66), front of coin: "GEORGIVS.....REX"; back: "HIBERNIA" (design of crown atop Irish harp)
Iron nails and spikes, one iron grapeshot and twelve lead bullets; a rifle flint and cannon flint; a large pewter spoon bowl; one large and two small iron knife blades; a two-tined iron fork with a twisted shaft and looped handle; a flat lead strip; a brass bayonet scabbard hook with a small piece of leather attached; a shoe buckle with an arched, circular iron frame with beaded design and brass chape and tongue; three copper British coins with a profile bust of King George on front (English half-pence); on back of one coin is a crown atop a harp.
These objects were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Sneeden's Landing, a blockhouse in Rockland County, New York on the west side of the Hudson River. Built in 1780 by a French officer, the blockhouse was intended to strengthen allied control of the river, and was garrisoned by French and American troops. The coins may have belonged to American soldiers or to British prisoners-of-war.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.