Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Framed set of objects (32) excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.479-511
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron, flint, brass, clay, copper, pewter, lead, glass
Dimensions: 
largest: 9 1/4 x 5/8 in. ( 23.5 x 1.6 cm )
Description: 
Iron Jew's harp: lyre-shaped instrument; a large, rectangular iron buckle; two iron shears; a large iron knife blade; a brass tack; a brass stud; a small hook; four musket flints: two are wrapped with lead sheathing; one lead musket and a lead pistol ball; clay tobacco pipe fragments: two bowl fragments decorated with an antlered deer and compass: one of the bowl fragments has a partial stem; three brass knee-breech buckles; three copper coins: two have a profile bust of King George on front; four buttons; links: one pair of brass sleeve-links and two other links have floral designs and decorative borders; one pink and one green glass link.
Gallery Label: 
These objects were excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The sleeve-links were worn by British or Hessian officers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group