Framed set of military buttons (37)
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: (1-3), on front of button: "35" (35th Foot, Royal Sussex Regiment) stamped: (4-10), front: "57" (57th Foot, West Middlesex Regiment) stamped: (11-12), front: "2/AMER" (2nd American Regiment) stamped: stamped: (13-14), front: "44" (44th Foot,
Pewter or brass military buttons; one brass button is decorated with a star on front; all other buttons are pewter with the number, emblem, or symbol of their regiment on front: two have three feathers above their regiment number; many buttons have crowns above their regiment numbers, and roped or corded border designs.
These military buttons were found by Police Inspector Moses Cortright at Fort Washington and in the military camp at Fort George. Fort Washington, at 183rd Street and Pinehurst Avenue, was garrisoned by British forces from November 16, 1776 until evacuation in 1783. The camp, at 190th Street and Audobon Avenue, was also occupied until evacuation. The buttons were worn on the uniforms of British or Loyalist privates.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.