Framed set of lead pencils (15) excavated at Revolutionary War sites
largest: 4 3/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 in. ( 12.1 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm )
Lead pencils; thin rectangular bars or cylinders; many are pointed at one end; one pencil has a hole.
These pencils were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at British forts and camps in New York City, including Fort Washington and the camp at the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan, and the camp of the Emmerich Chasseurs at Kingsbridge in the Bronx. Soldiers probably made many of the pencils by hammering and flattening musket balls, and used the pencils to write letters. Engineers may have used the pencils to draft plans and maps.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.