Glass and brass buttons, jewels, sleeve links, and cuff links.
These objects were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Revolutionary War forts and military camps in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camps were occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The jewels, links, and buttons were probably worn by officers, by members of soldiers' families, or by civilians.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024