Framed set of buttons and coin (75) excavated at West Point
Brass, bronze, tin, pewter, ivory, copper, bone
largest: 1 1/4 in. ( 3.2 cm )
stamped: (369), front of coin, inside fillet: "LIBERTY"; front, at bottom: "1816" stamped: (370), on back of button: "........LONDON" stamped: (371), on back of button: "BEST ORANGE LONDON 23" stamped: (372), on back of button: "L. H. &. S. EXTRA RIC
Brass, bronze, tin, pewter, ivory, or bone buttons; military buttons have the number, emblem, or symbol of their regiment on front: nineteen buttons have an eagle perched atop a cannon; four lead buttons have a foliate inscription in the center above a small oval enclosing a regiment number at bottom; one lead button has an eagle in the center above a small oval enclosing a number at bottom; three other lead buttons have eagles; five buttons have an eagle with an inscription inside a shield on its breast, grasping an olive branch in one claw and three arrows in the other; three buttons have an eagle grasping a banner in its claws and flying over a castle; one button has a bugle in center, encircled by a border of stars; seven other buttons have foliate inscriptions; thirty-one buttons have no numbers, symbols, or decorations: four bone and one ivory button; one pewter and three lead buttons; six buttons have inscriptions on back; a copper coin has a female profile bust on front with an inscription inside a fillet, bust is encircled by a border of thirteen stars.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit near an early nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of forts and barracks built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army. The military buttons were worn on the uniforms of United States Army soldiers stationed at West Point, which became the seat of the United States Military Academy in 1802.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.