Framed set of buttons (43) excavated at Fort Haldimand

Object Number: 
INV.5940.78-120
Date: 
1770-1792
Medium: 
Pewter, brass
Dimensions: 
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (85-6), on front: "K'S/8" (8th Regiment, King's Own) stamped: (90), on front: "th/9" (9th Regiment) stamped: (91-3), on front: "21" (21st Regiment; Scots Fusiliers; thistle below and crown above number) stamped: (94), on front: "IX" stamped:
Description: 
Pewter or brass buttons; military buttons have the number or symbol of their regiment on front; two brass military buttons have three cannons enclosed in a shield border; all other military buttons are pewter: three buttons have their regiment number in the center, with a crown above it and a thistle below it; three have a crown at the top, with their number at bottom and a thistle in center flanked by a border of two thistles; many have wreathed or roped border designs; seven pewter and three brass buttons have no numbers or decorations.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from refuse deposits at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The military buttons were worn on the uniforms of British or Loyalist privates stationed at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group