Framed set of bone buttons, fragments, and button molds (47) excavated at a Revo

Object Number: 
1947.276.1-47
Date: 
1776-1783
Medium: 
Bone
Dimensions: 
largest: 3 3/4 x 2 3/4 in. ( 9.5 x 7 cm )
Description: 
Bone buttons, fragments, and button molds; buttons are disk-shaped with one hole pierced through their center; the button molds are flat strips of bone with circular cutouts.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were found in 1903 by William L. Calver at 168th Street, within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The soldiers cut flat strips from animal bones, and shaped buttons in the strips using a sharp tool.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group