Framed pieces of the wood from the "Lawrence" and from flagstaff at Erie, PA
Wood, paper, glass, paint
Overall: 7 1/2 x 8 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 19 x 21 x 3.2 cm )
handwritten in ink: above relics of the "Lawrence": "Oak and Cedar Wood; parts of / Commodore O. H. Perry's flag ship / "Lawrence," which carried the flag / bearing the motto, "Don't give up the / ship," at the battle of Lake Erie Sept. 18, / 1813.[in pen
Pieces of oak and cedar wood, parts of Commodore Oliver H. Perry's flagship, the "Lawrence," and a piece of chestnut wood from flagstaff beside the grave of General Anthony Wayne at Presque Isle, now Erie, Pennsylvania; mounted side by side on buff-colored paper and framed; with painted images of Perry's flag bearing the motto "DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP" and Wayne's flag at Wabash, Indiana, and handwritten inscriptions.
Anthony Wayne (1745-1796) was an active committeeman during the early Revolutionary movement and served with distinction in the Revolutionary War. He was commissioned brigadier-general in 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.