Fragments of Stuyvesant pear tree (2)
larger: 1 3/4 x 23 x 8 1/2 in. ( 4.4 x 58.4 x 21.6 cm )
Two sections of tree cut vertically.
This fragment comes from the pear tree which was brought from Holland as a sapling by Peter Stuyvesant (1592-1672), the last director-general of New Netherland. The tree was planted at Stuyvesant's bouwery, or country estate, at what is now the northeast corner of Third Avenue and 13th Street. The tree stood until February, 1867, when a vehicle collided against it and sent it crashing to the ground.
Gift of the Estate of Col. J. Mayhew Wainwright
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.