Fragments of molded lead from the equestrian statue of King George III with traces of gilding.
The gilded statue of George III placed at Bowling Green by the British Government was torn from its pedestal by a jubilant crowd after a public reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1776. Fragments of the statue were transported to Litchfield, Connecticut and made into bullets for the Revolutionary troops. It is believed that Connecticut Loyalists took some of the fragments and hid them in and around their homes, for pieces such as this have been found buried in the area.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024