Overall: 1/8 x 11 7/8 x 2 3/4 in. ( 0.3 x 30.2 x 7 cm )
One of a group of two fragments of wood from the keel of the steamboat "Clermont"
This fragment from Robert Fulton's first steamboat "Clermont" was sawn from the keel of the "Clermont" by carpenter Henry Weeks. A letter from J.G. Van Slyke to Mr. Eben E. Olcott (father of the donor) in 1906 testifies to the genuineness of the relic (see object file 1951.415ab). The "Clermont," built in New York City in 1807, was the first commercially successful steamboat in America.
Gift of Mr. Alfred Van Santvoord Olcott
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024