Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Fragment of vial excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp

Object Number: 
INV.5924.468
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/4 in. ( 3.2 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of vial excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; green glass; cylindrical base fragment.
Gallery Label: 
This glass was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. It was stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. The vial was owned by a soldier, by a member of a soldier's family or by another civilian, or was obtained from local residents.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group