Fragment of sword blade excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Overall: 12 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 31.1 x 3.2 cm )
Iron fragment of sword blade.
This sword blade was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The sword belonged to a British, Hessian, or Loyalist officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.