Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Fragment of stemware drinking glass excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.197
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 3/8 in. ( 6 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of stemware drinking glass; colorless glass foot.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The glass was probably owned by a British, Hessian, or Loyalist officer.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group