Fragment of scabbard hook excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.135
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 7/8 x 3/8 in. ( 4.8 x 1 cm )
Description: 
Brass fragment of scabbard hook; slightly curved hook.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The scabbard hook fastened a bayonet scabbard to a belt worn by a British or Hessian soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group