Fragment of the floor of Audubon's house
Overall: 7/8 x 5 1/2 x 10 1/2 in. ( 2.2 x 14 x 26.7 cm )
hand written: on paper label: "Piece of floor of 90 year old Audubon House at 155 st & Riverside Drive./ Dec. 1, 1931 S. Werner" printed: on newspaper: "[N]EW YORK TIMES, WED....[CUT OFF]"; "WRECKERS TAKE OVER/ THE AUDUBON HOUSE/ Washington Heights Ta
Section of floor board with newspaper article and paper label affixed to front.
According to the 1931 newspaper article affixed to the board, Audubon's home on 155th Street and Riverside Drive had been built in 1841 with money he had made from his books. When a developer purchased the building, intending to tear it down and construct an apartment building, local residents attempted to save it by moving it to nearby city land. Unfortunately, they could not raise the money required in time, and Audobon's home was destroyed.
Gift of Mr. Brighton C. Cain
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.