Fragment of the equestrian statue of King George III
Overall: 9 x 14 x 8 in. ( 22.9 x 35.6 x 20.3 cm )
Gilded lead statue fragment originally forming part of horse's foreleg
The gilded statue of George III placed at Bowling Green by the British Government was torn from its pedestal by an angry mob just after a reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1776. Fragments of the statue were transported to Litchfield, CT and made into bullets for the Revolutionary troops. It is believed that Connecticut Loyalists took some of the fragments and hid them in and around their homes, for pieces such as this have been found buried in the area.
Gift of Dr. Helen Weitzel Chapman in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Sherwood Ogden Chichester
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.