Fragment of the equestrian statue of King George III
Overall: 1/2 x 7/8 x 1/2 in. ( 1.3 x 2.2 x 1.3 cm )
Fragment of molded lead statue of George III with traces of gilding.
The gilded statue of George III placed at Bowling Green by the British Government was torn from its pedestal by a jubilant crowd after a public reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1776. Fragments of the statue were transported to Litchfield, Connecticut and made into bullets for the Revolutionary troops. It is believed that Connecticut Loyalists took some of the fragments and hid them in and around their homes, for pieces such as this have been found buried in the area.This small fragment was returned to the Society in 1999, 100 years after being taken by Alwina Wlodeck during a visit to the Society in the 1890s. When the piece of the saddle was shown to her group, a small piece fell off and was kept by Ms. Wlodeck. It was returned by her great niece.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.