Fragment of church bell melted in the Great Fire of 1835
Overall: 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 in. ( 1.3 x 3.8 x 5.7 cm )
Fragment of bell (cast in 1674) from the South Dutch Church in New York City, which was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1835; fragment housed in gilded wood box.
This melted fragment of metal is from the bell of the South Dutch Church, which formerly stood in Garden Street, now Exchange Place. The bell was cast in 1674 and the church built in 1691-1693. The building was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1835, and this fragment was picked from the ruins.
Gift of Mr. A. P. M. Roome, on behalf of his father, Mr. W. J. Roome
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.