Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Fragment of button excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.203
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Description: 
Brass fragment of button; thin brass face.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The fragment was the front of a two-piece button.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group