Fragment of British military cap badge excavated at Fort Haldimand
Overall: 1 3/4 x 2 5/8 in. ( 4.4 x 6.7 cm )
embossed: (70), front of badge: "PAT...."
Iron cap badge fragment excavated at Fort Haldimand; flat plate with ornamental designs and inscriptions on front.
This badge was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The badge was worn on the cap of a British grenadier who was part of the garrison during or after the Revolutionary War.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.