Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Fragment of bar shot

Object Number: 
1947.586
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 4 in. ( 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Iron bar shot; two half-circles connected by bar.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. Bar shot was a type of artillery ammunition that expanded when fired from a cannon.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group