Fort Stevens and Mill Rock from Hallett's Point Tower, Long Island, New York City
Watercolor and graphite on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.19)
Overall: 9 3/4 x 24 in. ( 24.8 x 61 cm )
inscription: upper center, ink: "Fort Stevens and the Mill rock from the Tower on Hallet's [sic] Point" inscription: side, pencil: "Copy this"
Inscribed above image in brown ink: "Fort Stevens and the Mill Rock from the Tower on Halletts Point"; at left of image vertically in graphite: "copy this"
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore (among other places). This fort, located on the shore of the East River on Hallett's Point, was named in honor of General Ebenezer Stevens (1751-1823), whose country home was located nearby. Mill Rock (in the East River) and the Harlem River are in the distance.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.