Fort Fish from Nutter's Battery, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite with touches of gouache and scratching out on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.14)
Overall: 10 x 23 1/2 in. ( 25.4 x 59.7 cm )
inscription: lower center, ink: "Fort Fish from Nutter's Battery"
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "Fort Fish from Nutters Battery"; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 8."
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. Nutter's Battery apparently derived its name from Valentine Nutter, whose house stood nearby.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.