Fob seal excavated at Fort George
Overall: 3/4 x 7/8 in. ( 1.9 x 2.2 cm )
stamped: (2), on bottom of seal: "WR"
Chalcedony fob seal; black; bottom inscribed with foliate initials.
This fob seal was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort George, a British fort at Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Niagara River in Ontario, Canada. Built in 1795, the fort was captured by American forces and occupied by them from May until December, 1813. The initials are of the British officer who owned the seal, which was suspended from his watch chain.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.