Overall: 8 3/4 x 10 in. ( 22.2 x 25.4 cm )
impressed: om side: "WM. E. WARNER. S / MANUFACTORY / WEST TROY / C. MORGANS CLAY"
Wheelthrown cylindrical flower pot with attached underdish, ruffled rim on both, applied scrolling flange handles with sprigged decoration of foliate wreath, enclosing inscription on one side and harp on either side, each pierced with tiny holes.
William Warner worked in West Troy between 1836 and 1839, between 1841 and 1856, and again between 1861 and 1870 at his new factory just east of the West Troy Pottery. Warner advertised wares such as this flower pot as "extra glazed fancy ware." This flower pot is not true Rockingham ware, but rather stoneware with a lustrous streaked brown glaze meant to imitate the highly popular. In addition to making pottery, Warner dealt in clay and sand. The reference to "C. MORGANS CLAY" in Warner's mark advertises his stock of desirable stoneware clay from South Amboy, New Jersey.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.