Flint lock musket, 20 Model Brown Bess; field repair, original length
Wood, iron, brass
Overall: 57 7/8 in. ( 147 cm ) Part (barrel): 42 in. (106.7 cm)
stamped: lockplate center: "R" (probably GR; below crown); tail: "J..." stamped: barrel breech: ".../IV" ; also crown above illegible mark. incised: left buttstock: "G x D B" engraved: escutcheon plate: "D/VI"
Wood, iron, and brass flintlock musket; brass furniture; trumpet-head iron ramrod; stamped marks at center and tail of lockplate and at breech end of barrel; incised letters on left side of buttstock, and engraved mark on escutcheon plate.
After its emergence in the 1720's as the first official royal military firearm, the Brown Bess became the standard flintlock infantry musket used by British forces during every conflict of the next century, until its replacement by the percussion musket during the 1830's. According to accession records, the ramrod was made in 1952 by restorer George Bruchiss.
Bequest of Richard H. Gosman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.