Fire Engine, Protection Engine Co. No. 5, Melrose, Morrisania, N.Y.
Hand-drawn and hand-power engine. Painted on front of carriage: "org' Melrose, Sep. 25th 1852"; on rear of carriage: "Respect all. Fear none"; on side "Protection 5". Varnished panels, running gear painted tan, striping gold and black. Accessories: one hurricane lamp, hinged pole, copper ram, short hose.
Built in 1857 for Melrose Protection Co. No. 5 in the Bronx, and used until 1874, when Morrisania was annexed to NYC.
Gift of the 12 surviving members of Protection Engine Co. No. 5, Benevolent Association of Melrose, 1929
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.