Fire engine lamp
Overall: 16 3/4 x 8 1/2 x 7 in. ( 42.5 x 21.6 x 17.8 cm )
handwritten: on tag: "Nadelman"
Six-sided mixed metal fire engine lamp; two-tiered chimney with eagle finial; six oblong glass panels, two with blue stain, two with red stain, and two colorless glass, all but one with etched decoration; one red-stained panel with "7" etched at center; molded metal decoration applied to corners of frame enclosing each panel; hanging chain attached to two opposing upper corners of hexagonal frame (a later addition).
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.