Epaulets (pair) in storage box
Each (epaulet): 4 in. × 7 in. × 5 1/4 in. (10.2 × 17.8 × 13.3 cm) Container (box): 5 1/2 × 9 × 6 1/2 in. (14 × 2
Pair of commodore's epaulets; rigid, gold lace-covered strap with gilded metal button embossed with an eagle perched on an anchor; crescent in the form of a roll of gilt thread embroidery enclosing two embroidered oak leaves flanking an anchor with superimposed shield; two layers of gold bullion fringe, the outermost measuring 3 1/4 inches in length and 3/8 inch in diameter; padded blue velvet lining and brass channel fastener; were originally stored in box (1924.138cd)
According to the accession records, these epaulets belonged to Commodore Uriah Phillips Levy (1792-1862), uncle of the donor.
Gift of Amelia Levy Mayhoff in memory of Jefferson M. Levy
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.