Epaulets (pair) in storage box
Metal, textile, paint
Each (epaulet): 4 1/4 x 7 1/2 x 5 3/4 in. (10.8 x 19.1 x 14.6 cm) Container (box): 6 1/4 × 9 1/4 × 6 1/2 in. (15.9 ×
in relief: on button: "A" stamped: on fasteners: "LEFT" and "RIGHT" scratched: on top of lid: "K."
Pair of colonel's epaulets with added Marine Corps insignia; rigid, gold lace-covered strap with silver embroidered eagle and gilded metal button embossed with shield-breasted eagle, the shield bearing the letter "A"; silver-colored metal insignia with eagle atop a globe superimposed on an anchor centered inside gilded brass crescent; three layers of gold bullion fringe, the outermost measuring approximately 3 3/8 inches in length and 1/2 inch in diameter; black painted metal storage box which is rectangular with rounded corners, with hinged, flat-topped lid and red velvet-lined interior; oval interior compartment with detachable lid contains rectangular brass printing plate for a calling card enclosed in paper envelope (Z.3034ab).
According to the accession records, these epaulets were worn by Colonel Matthew R. Kintzing (1822-1893), the donor's father. Kintzing was commissioned colonel, U.S. Marine Corps, on December 5, 1867, and served as commandant of the Marine barracks at Philadelphia until 1869.
Bequest of Miss Mary E. Kintzing
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.