Eagle Distillery, New York City; verso; sketch of a male profile
Graphite, black ink wash, and brown ink on paper
Overall: 4 x 5 5/8 in. ( 10.2 x 14.3 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
Inscribed at upper left in graphite: "Carry the corner all around a C...[?]"; at upper right: "Eagle" (with arrow pointing to the finial)
Signs on the building identify it as the Eagle Distillery dealing in alcohols and cologne spirits and imported wines and liquors. A name on the building around the corner identifies the occupant as "J.N. Hayward & Co." This was the firm of John N. Hayward, distiller and "rectifier," located at 20-24 Delancey Street, at the northeast corner of Chrystie Street, where he was listed from 1849-50 to 1869 (NYCD). The site is now obliterated and is included in Sara Delano Roosevelt Park.
Gift of Samuel Verplanck Hoffman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.