Wood, hide, rope, leather, metal, paint
Overall: 15 1/4 x 18 7/8 in. ( 38.7 x 47.9 cm )
handwritten in ink: in cartouche on lower side of drum: "W. S. Tompkins / Maker / 69 Watts St. / N. Y." handwritten: inside drum: "W. S. Tompkins, maker - 69 Watts St. - July 4th 1841 - N. Y."
Double-headed tubular drum with wooden cylinder and drumheads made of animal hide; wooden rims painted with horizontal red, white and blue stripes; rope lacing threaded through metal rings attached to rim edges, the lacing reinforced with leather bands; radial pattern of stars, petals, triangles and diamonds in dark wood and light wood inlay on side of cylinder, with maker's name and address handwritten in cartouche below.
William S. Tompkins (1812-1882) had a drum factory at 69 Watts Street in New York City. The donors are his grandsons.
Gift of Camillo Tompkins Sutorius and George Ford Sutorius
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.